Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Hypothetically Speaking

There's something about turning 25 that makes a person reevaluate her life. Not that I know from experience. But hypothetically speaking, if I did have a 25th birthday coming up, I would be reevaluating everything.

Hypothetically, I would ask myself why I chose a form of art for a career. Hypothetically, I would ask if I could ever make any money practicing that form of art. And hypothetically, I would go on a spending binge just to make myself feel better. (Remember, Dear Husband, I speak strictly in the hypothetical sense. There is no need to put a freeze on all bank accounts… at least not until I finish this trip to Macy's.)

If I was about to turn 25, I would think back to the time when I was a kid. I would think about how life was certain back then, how I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. Sure, it might change every day, but at least I knew something.

The only thing I know now is that I have no idea who I am. Or what I want to be when I grow up. Or if I'll ever grow up. The only thing I know now is that, in the words of my school counselor after I changed my major for the sixth time, I am "one confused child".

I guess that's what we all are. Confused kids. Especially those of us, who, hypothetically, get really reflective when they turn 25.

And now, Dear Reader, I have a question for you. Hypothetically speaking, would you send me birthday letters, preferably with money in them, if I was turning 25?

Because hypothetically speaking, that's the only way I'll ever admit I am.

****
A note to the concerned: I wasn't serious about quitting my career. I do make lots of some money at it.

No comments:


I know all about waiting--for the right guy, for high school to end, for my boobs to come in (two out of three ain't bad).



Bare Naked Blog



I'm just getting started sharing relevant ads on my site. Please click "connect" at the top of the page if you're interested in learning more.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved