Monday, June 1, 2009

Enough

Some days I want to walk into Hallmark and ask, "Do you sell 'I'm Sorry' cards in boxes of 100?"

Not because my husband and I have been arguing (we haven't). Not because I'm offending people by the dozens (I'm not... am I?). Only because inside of my heart -- somewhere deep -- I feel like I should apologize for not being enough.

Not smart enough. Not funny enough. Not good enough.

Now that we've gotten my deep-seated psychological issues out of the way, I want to tell you about something that's changed everything for me.

Recently I met a guy named Bob Irvin. As we talked, he said something that really shook me. He said:

We need to reach teens where they are -- not where we want them to be.

I was so shocked to hear an adult say those words that I couldn't think of anything else for about five minutes.

And I wondered -- when it comes to ministry --

Is it our goal to make mini-replicas of us? Or is it to love like Jesus did?

This concept -- that we should reach teens where they are -- is the very one God gave me several years ago. I couldn't have agreed with Bob more. In fact, I told God so.

As usual, I was surprised by His response.

You believe this for the teens you care about -- but do you believe this for yourself?

It's a struggle some days... to see that Jesus wants me for who I am. Where I am. Today. Not who I will be tomorrow. Not who I will be 10 years from now.

Some days I can't get there on my own. I need reminders... from my husband, from my family, from my friends. I need to hear I am OK the way I am.

As I asked Jesus about my neediness, He reminded me of one of my favorite pictures. Four people -- struggling to balance one paralyzed man -- as they lowered him through the roof to Jesus.

And I realized -- those four people represent the dear ones God has placed in my life. On days when I'm empty, Jesus uses these friends to bring me to His feet. And at those nail scarred feet I hear the words,

"Go in peace. Your sins are forgiven you."

And suddenly, I know -- I am enough. Because He is enough.

Thank You, Jesus, for Your nail-scarred feet.
Thank You for Your enough-ness.
Help us carry each other to those feet. Consistently.
Because at those feet, we find healing.
At those feet -- we find enough.
****
Question for 2Day:
Who has carried you to the feet of Jesus?

3 comments:

banderclip said...

my husband has many times done this for me. thank you for posting this!

Bare Naked Blog w/Bekah said...

You are blessed, as am I. Thanks for sharing!

Shaunie @ Up the Sunbeam said...

"Thank You for Your enough-ness" -- what a powerful line. He truly IS enough--thank you for putting such a bell-clear point on that truth.


I know all about waiting--for the right guy, for high school to end, for my boobs to come in (two out of three ain't bad).



Bare Naked Blog



I'm just getting started sharing relevant ads on my site. Please click "connect" at the top of the page if you're interested in learning more.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved