Friday, June 19, 2009

Caution: Water Belly

I have a little secret.

No -- that is not a belly sticking out of my shirt. It is something else entirely. Not a tumor. Not a pillow. Not even a watermelon.

It is a water-belly. About 10 seconds before my SIL snapped this picture, I took a butt-dive into the icy cold Connecticut water. The water then proceeded to swallow me up to my armpits.

I am a southern girl. This was not a happy moment.

My first response? "If you put this on Facebook, I will kill you."

Then I skulked back to the cottage, wrapped myself in my fuzzy pajamas, threw my only pair of jeans and water-belly sweater into the dryer, and pouted on the couch.

About five minutes later I realized -- this was the funniest thing that had ever happened.

Suddenly I started to laugh. I laughed until my family wondered -- did I need a doctor? Did I hit my head? Had the cold water frozen my brain like a Slurpee on a warm day?

This is what amazes me: How could 5 minutes out of the water change my perspective so drastically?

Wait a minute... that sounds familiar.

For now we see in a glass dimly, but then face to face...

The problems I face today -- the insomnia I've had for the past 3 nights, the broken car door that forces me to belly-crawl across the console while onlookers call the mental health department, or the unpredictability of my job -- they're all ripples in the water.

Yeah, it's cold down here. Yeah, I have an ugly water-belly right now.

But in the end, does it really matter?

I choose to laugh in the face of it all.

Anyone else up for a swim?

5 comments:

banderclip said...

yikes, falling in the water wouldn't be very funny at the time! I'm glad you have a good sense of humor, though. I've found, like you, it's better just to laugh than get upset about things. Now if I can just actually do that....

Christy

Bare Naked Blog w/Bekah said...

Yeah, obviously I'm working on that too :)

Cheryl via Facebook said...

Cute story and a great picture.

Anonymous said...

In the midst of what seems like a catastrophe it isn't always easy to laugh, but in retrospect you get a glimpse of how the situation really stacks up in the over all scheme of things, don't you? Love your sense of humor! I've just skipped over from Rachelle's blog party. (Wasn't that fun?) I've enjoyed my peek at your website and will definitely be back for more.

Carol Garvin

Bare Naked Blog w/Bekah said...

Thanks for stopping by Carol! I hope your "virtual breakfast" was great. Cute idea!


I know all about waiting--for the right guy, for high school to end, for my boobs to come in (two out of three ain't bad).



Bare Naked Blog



I'm just getting started sharing relevant ads on my site. Please click "connect" at the top of the page if you're interested in learning more.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved