Friday, May 8, 2009

A Wasted Life

I reached a milestone last week. I finally finished my B.A. degree. All (1) of you who’ve followed my column over the past three years (I know you’re out there, Mom. Mom…?) can now breathe a sigh of relief.

You no longer have to hear me whine about grades. Midterms. Finals. And the irreversible gain of the Freshman 15. (I put on 15 pounds every time I changed majors. Not good when you’ve majored in everything from premed to watercolor painting.)

In the end I settled on a major in Talking. The school guidance counselor was intent on the idea. (I have no idea why.) He was even tricky about it. He told me I would graduate with a broad education in the field of “communications”.

Which as you can imagine sells really well. Especially during a recession.

I’m grateful to have the support of my family and friends during this economically and emotionally depressed time for me. They ask caring questions like:

• When are you going to get a real job?
• What time does the Young and the Restless come on? (We know you must
have the T.V. Guide memorized by now.)
• Have you ever thought of going back to school?

They have a point. I could go back to school. But there’s a huge part of me that wants to believe the last four years were not a waste.

So I practice. I figure if someone’s going to hire me, it will be because I am proficient in my field.

I talk when my husband’s home. I talk when he’s at work. I talk to the mailman. I talk to the mailbox.

Yesterday, however, I made the mistake of talking to Aunt Agatha. Things were going well until she interrupted me with a life-shattering question:

“Do you EVER shut up?”

All of the sudden I realized: Who was I kidding? Who would ever pay me to talk? Who would ever pay me to do anything? The last four years were a complete waste.

Depressed and alone, I wandered into the grocery store. For once, I didn’t feel like talking. Apparently the store manager did.

“Are you OK, ma’am?” He asked. “You look like you need a listening ear.”

He began to ask questions and I began to talk. Tears rolled down my face as I told him about my wasted life. My wasted money. My dog named Pip.

The more I talked, the more distressed he looked. His eyes bugged. Little beads of sweat popped out of his forehead.

”Ma’am,” he finally said, “I’m really sorry, but I just can’t listen anymore. If I give you $5, will you shut up?”

Aha, I thought. I might just make money from this education after all.

No comments:


I know all about waiting--for the right guy, for high school to end, for my boobs to come in (two out of three ain't bad).



Bare Naked Blog



I'm just getting started sharing relevant ads on my site. Please click "connect" at the top of the page if you're interested in learning more.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved