Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Erynn Mangum: The Interview

This week I sat down with Erynn Mangum, author of three books (and one more on the way!). Erynn is only 24 – you know, one of those people who have accomplished so much it makes you sick. Oh, and she’s fun. But don’t take my word for it. See for yourself:

BJ Hamrick: You’ve published three books since 2007. Which one was your favorite to write? (We know. This is like asking you to pick a favorite child. You can do it… we won’t tell.)

Erynn Mangum: Actually, that’s an easy question. My favorite is the 2nd book. I didn’t have to worry about introducing the characters, I got to just write the story.

BJH: Which character do you relate to most, and why?

EM: Probably Lauren [in the Maya Davis series]. It’s told through her perspective and a lot of me slipped in there as I was writing it. She’s got my awful caffeine addiction, love of movies and sweets. But she’s waaaay more direct and outspoken. I guess those are qualities I wish I had.

BJH: What sparked the idea for your new Maya Davis series?

EM: Well, like Miss Match, it was a combination of what was going on around me and Jane Austen. Maya is a barista at a local coffeehouse who lives with Jen, who has been her best friend since junior year in college. Maya’s got a weird situation though, when Jen starts unknowingly dating Maya’s high school sweetheart (who she thought she was going to marry). The idea for the plot sparked when I was reading Jane Austen (classic writer! If you need plot ideas, read her books) and I’d always wanted to write about a barista. So I stalked a friend of mine who worked at the Borders cafe.

BJH: Do you have any advice for teen writers?

EM: Keep writing! Read everything you can get your hands on - including books that teach you how to write. Go to writer’s conferences. Email your favorite authors and ask questions. Most of all, don’t ever give up! If you’ve got the talent and the desire to write, I believe God’s given you that for a reason.

BJH: What was your most embarrassing teenage moment? (Would you ever put it in a book?)

EM: What WASN’T my most embarrassing teen moment? I led a very awkward childhood. I was always too tall for my age and lacked any talent in sports or anything that required rhythm. It didn’t help that I was a drama queen as well. I might write about it…maybe.

BJH: What are your hobbies?

EM: Well, writing. I love hanging out with my husband, playing with our six-month old husky, watching movies, experimenting in the kitchen, and meeting new people. My family is awesome - they are my closest friends, so I love seeing them. And eventually, Jon and I would like to travel more. But it’s fun dreaming of traveling!

BJH: Where can readers find out more about your books?

EM: My website is www.erynnmangum.com. You can find out everything on there about them! Come by and send me an email!

BJH: When can we expect your next book to become available?

EM: Cool Beans is releasing April 2010. I’m so excited!

****

B.J. Hamrick is taking her reader's (yes -- because she have only has one) advice and writing about someone other than herself this week. Enjoy the brief sabbatical. She'll be back soon. If you miss her too much you can reach her over e-mail. Unless she's taking a break from herself.

1 comment:

Libby said...

I LOVED the lauren series. I read all three in 3 days!


I know all about waiting--for the right guy, for high school to end, for my boobs to come in (two out of three ain't bad).



Bare Naked Blog



I'm just getting started sharing relevant ads on my site. Please click "connect" at the top of the page if you're interested in learning more.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved